top 10 :: things I love about Joe on his 28th birthday
1. The way you serve. When we got married, I had no idea how loved I would feel by having a husband who serves me. God is very wise when he brings two people together.
2. The way you write. Your letters to me are some of the most precious possessions I have. There is not a writer on earth that I enjoy reading more than you.
3. The way you father. You are an incredibly involved dad, so hands-on and helpful. I know this is not something to take for granted and I want you to know that I don’t.
4. Your gracious spirit. Ten out of ten times, you are the one who initiates apologies and reconciliation when we argue. You are quick to forgive and slow to hold a grudge.
5. You are the hardest worker I know. You work full-time as a college professor. You are an outstanding student. You have labored for months on our new home. You spend countless hours researching, planning, preparing, and executing plans for our home and family. You make me look lazy on a daily basis (and I think I work pretty hard).
6. You are the best companion. I love sitting on the couch with you and talking or reading or watching a movie. You make running mundane errands enjoyable.
7. You are incredibly intelligent. So, not only do I feel lazy compared to you, I feel like I should repeat K-12. God has given you a sharp, brilliant mind and I learn more from you than anyone.
8. Your varied interests. I love that you aren’t just a sports guy or a book worm, you love and take interest in so many things: theology, sports, politics, history, current events, business, economics, cooking, gardening, house remodeling, reading, the list could go on…
9. You don’t try to be someone that you’re not. One of the first things that caught my eye about you is your humble confidence. You never feel like you have to be “cool” or keep up with the most recent trends. You could care less what brand of clothes you wear and the thought of impressing anyone doesn’t even cross your mind. I thank God for this.
10. You support me in all of my ideas and suggestions. This might sound like an exaggeration, but I have been sitting here for a while and can’t think of a single time when you haven’t gone along with, gotten excited over, or said “yes” to an idea I have had for a family night, vacation, holiday, tradition, date night, piece of furniture, or a crazy topping on a pizza. To others this might sound like you are the one submitting and I’m the one calling all the shots. Not true. You are just really great at encouraging me in my strengths (like picking pizza toppings) and I pray I do the same for you.
Happy 28th Birthday, Joe! I love you and thank God for your wonderful life.