a little heart-to-heart
I recently had a little heart-to-heart talk with Sam. It went a little something like this…
Me: “Sam, why do love your Daddy more than you love me?”
Sam: “Do you feel threatened, Momma?”
Yes. Oh no, baby. I’m just wondering.”
Sam: “Well, it’s because he is the absolute BEST!”
Me: “Yes sweetie, I agree, but are you forgetting that I was in labor with you for three days?”
Sam: “Yes, but he is SO fun to be around!”
Me: “And I had to push for two hours?”
Sam: “But he makes me laugh more than anybody!”
Me: “And you quite possibly broke my back during delivery?”
Sam: “Yes, Momma, I know. You’ve told me the story over and over again.”
Me: “Then why do you still love your Daddy more than me?”
Sam: “I don’t know, Momma, it’s just all the little things he does.”
Me: “I need examples.”
Sam: “Well, for starters…
- He puts sprinkles in my plain yogurt every morning because, well, it’s plain!
- He wrestles with me and has tickle wars with me every night.
- As soon as he walks in the door from work, he gives me a big hug and takes me to the playground across the street.
- He plays football, baseball, soccer, basketball, and frisbee with me.
Me: “Well, I taught you how to crack an egg without getting any shell in the batter?!”
Sam: “Yes. Yes you did.”
- He reads to me, sings to me, prays with me, blesses me, and tucks me in to bed every evening.
- He lets me help him outside with all of the yard-work and gardening.
- He takes me on car rides to run “manly” errands to Home Depot.
Me: “What about Target?!”
Sam: “What about Target?!”
- He comes up with the silliest songs to sing to me all throughout the day.
- He lets me have bites of all of his food.
- He hugs and kisses me all the time.
- He has 287 nicknames for me and I love them all.
Me: “Hey, but I call you Samma-Lamma-Ding-Dong?!”
- When he reads to me, he uses different voices and noises for each character, animal, and automobile.
- He takes me to church and lets me sit with him during worship.
- He chases me, plays with me, talks to me, laughs with me, and helps me when I’m fussy.
- He lets me ride on his shoulders.
Me: “Yeah, but I let you walk beside me and hold my hand!”
Sam: “Yeah, that’s almost as exciting.”
- He buys me really special gifts.
- He write me poems and tells me stories.
- He dresses me in clashing colors and I don’t even care because he doesn’t match either.
- He lets me wear his baseball cap.
Me: “I have cool headbands?”
Sam: “Um, not quite the same.”
- He builds the most amazing Lego towers with me.
- He cracks me up with the silly faces he makes.
- He takes me on wagon rides around the neighborhood.
- He goes to all of my doctors appointments with me and makes them fun.
Me: “Well, someone has to ask the doctor two-hundred questions!”
Sam: “Yes, but there’s always two-hundred of them!”
- When we are playing, he will stop and say, “I love you so much, Buddy” out of no where.
- He is my best friend.
- He said he’d help me find a good wife one day. You said I wasn’t allowed to get married.
Me: “Fine. He wins.”
Happy Father’s Day to the most loving,
and wise Daddy a boy could ever ask for!